Hopefully now it makes sense why you have to pee every 15 minutes, and why it's hard to breathe sometimes!
My OB/GYN says that discomfort & swelling are just part of pregnancy. Is there really anything you can do for me?
While certain issues certainly are just a part of pregnancy (ie hemorrhoids), massage therapy can help your body stay in "rest and recover" mode instead of the stressful "fight or flight" mode. It can trigger your nervous system to more accurately and efficiently regulate hormones. It can help lymphatic swelling in your ankles and calves return into general circulation instead of pooling. Your joints may get too loose from the production of relaxin and cause pain as tendons and muscles get over stretched, and massage can help soothe the hypersensitivity. Anxiety and stress levels have been shown to decrease, your heart beat becomes more serene, and the pressure gets taken off of your back and lungs making it easier to breathe. All of those things can directly affect the baby in the womb as well, making sure that the little one also benefits from mama getting a massage!
Research has also proven that mamas that receive massage regularly during pregnancy spend less time laboring and are less likely to require inductions or c-sections!
I want this baby OUT! Help Me!
If you have carried your baby full term, & your OB/GYN says it is safe for you to give birth, give me a call! I would be happy to perform techniques that will help your body get ready for the hard work ahead, and I can also help encourage contractions. Of course, if your mind, body or baby are not ready, there is nothing I can do to induce labor. However, if everything and everyone is ready, let's try to beat my record! One of my mamas went into labor on my massage table and was able to deliver her baby within 4 hrs after her massage!
Infant Massage Questions
Why should I massage my baby?
Massaging our littlest ones teaches them about boundaries and trust, allows them to learn about safe touch and communication. Through one-on-one time, baby can bond deeply with the massage giver, and the giver can be proud that they are learning and bonding with baby as well! Massage can help baby learn sleep wake schedules, can boost his immune system, increase muscle coordination and growth, aid in healing from a traumatic birth or promote developmental integration.Infant massage is safe for any child, even babes born with spine ibifida, or other disabilities.
I would love to perform infant massage on your little one, but frequency is important at this age (especially when each massage may only last a few minutes before baby moves on to something else). It is more effective to massage baby a little every day at the same time, and the only person that can do that is baby's caregiver!
Can you teach only one family or just large groups?
If I have a request to teach only one family, I am happy to do it! Every month, we host an infant massage class at our office. If I am requested to teach a larger group, I'll be there! This is a skill that anyone can learn, and everyone benefits! I do try to limit the number of families in one class to 10 non-mobile babies so that everyone gets individual attention. If babies are crawling or walking, or are toddlers or small children, you may be better off taking a class alone or in a group of 5 or less.
What does the $45 class fee include?
The Infant Massage Class has a $45 fee for each infant, and up to 3 caregivers can attend with that baby. The class lasts approximately 90 minutes, and is taught by a Certified Infant Massage Instructor. You get personlized attention, lots of supervised practice time, massage lubrication that is safe for baby's skin and a booklet to follow along with and keep so you can continue to practice at home.
Policy and Pricing Questions
General Office Policies
I am not a doctor, I will not diagnose or prescribe (unless it's in fun, like 'no doing dishes for 24 hours')
- We have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, including personal hygiene.
- I do not participate in any sexual comments or behavior, and will end a session and call the cops if I need to.
- Do not show up to a massage appointment under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, please.
- If you have the flu, please stay home.
- If the weather is bad enough that schools are closed, our office will be too.
- Be honest about your health history. Some conditions may mean that massage is not safe for you, so we need to know everything, even if it's embarassing or you don't think it has anything to do with massage.
- If you can't make your appointment, please give as much notice as possible, preferably at least 24 hours. Your timeslot may be a perfect fit for someone who has been waiting to get in. Not to mention, I worry when people no-show ("were they in an accident?" "have they fallen and can't get up?" "are they pinned in their house by a rabies infected raccoon?" Also, a bummer for everyone, no-shows affect my bottom line, making it more likely that I would have to increase prices.
- If youaccidentally forget about your appointment and no-show, call as soon as possible to reschedule. If you no-show more than one time, Sheboygan Massage may charge you for your missed session.
Tell me about your pricing.
Sheboygan Massage's prices are competitive with most other massage therapists in the city of Sheboygan. We want to make sure that every person who can afford massage, can afford a GOOD massage, by charging rates similar to rates of less experienced MTs. Honestly, if I didn't have a young family to clothe and feed and insure, I would happily do this work for free! Until I win the lottery, I will take payment for one session at a time, or you can pre-pay for a package of sessions at a discounted rate. Packages can be shared among family members. Gift certificates can also be purchased at the package rate, and each certificate can be given to a different person.